Monday 3 January 2011

Diva Fever

In case you hadn't noticed, I've decided that 'Music Monday' might be a thing. It is for now at least, we'll see how that goes.

So this time of year is aaall about cheese, and, whilst I like listening to that, and the stuff that's in the chart - sometimes you just need a break, a bit of true class.


WARNING: If you're feeling at all lovesick, these songs will either become your best friend and main source of solace, or will tip you over the edge. I take no responsibility for this; the voices of these women make you do crazy things sometimes.

So here are the songs I'm escaping the world with:

2. Etta James - All I Could Do Was Cry
Makes me laugh when she gets so angry about the rice, but a beautiful song nonetheless.






3. Dorothy Moore - Misty Blue
Makes my heart hurt. If you've ever missed anyone in your life, I defy you to listen to this song and not feel it.







4. Roberta Flack - The First Time (Ever I Saw Your Face)
Makes me wistful.
(See this year's X Factor winner, Matt Cardle's version here, he has a beautiful falsetto.)







5. Dinah Washington - Mad About the Boy
Makes me think.







6. Nina Simone - I Put a Spell On You
Makes my whole back come alive with shivers.







7. Sarah Vaughan - What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life?
Makes me excited for the future.







8. Billie Holiday - I'll Be Seeing You
Makes me ache with sadness.







9. Ella Fitzgerald - Cry Me a River
Makes me feel empowered. (Dinah Washington's version is equally amazing)







10. Aretha Franklin - Share Your Love With Me
Makes me a bit awe-struck. (Of course this list wouldn't be complete without Aretha, but if you need cheering up after listening to all these, go for some of her cheerier hits perhaps.)






Lots of love.


Ciao for now,
Charlotte




EDIT: A much-needed addition suggested by @Jens_xo on twitter:


Dusty Springfield - You Don't Have to Say You Love Me



No comments:

Post a Comment