Saturday 15 January 2011

In the Primer of Your Life

Favourite Things + Make-Up Posts = Primer.
I don't happen to study maths anymore (thankfully), but that's the equation that just popped into my head. I promised some make-up posts (see?) & I'm currently doing quick(ish) 'favourite things' posts. Because exams are happening, in case I hadn't moaned about that enough yet.

Primer is something I'm relatively new to; I got my first one a few years ago on a whim.

The idea is it serves almost as a 'base coat' for your make-up, providing a smooth surface from which to work and making your face stay in place better, whilst adding radiance.

I only really wear it for nights out though, partly because I don't feel it's necessary every day (especially not if you have a good moisturiser) and partly because it's not the cheapest of items. Sometimes in the Summer though, I will wear it instead of foundation/concealer as it's so light reflective and I hate to wear full make-up in the heat.

I've heard good things about a few primers, such as ones from Smashbox at Sephora, Bare Escentuals, Chanel and Yves Saint Laurent - these links should go directly to the product in question. Depending on your tastes (ie. more youthful, mineral-based, or more high-end), one of these might be for you.

However, I'm here to talk about my favourites and my absolute favourite primer is by one of my absolute favourite make-up companies, whom you should expect to hear about over and over again on this blog: Benefit.

Their 'That Gal' primer is great for my paler skin as it's got a pinky sheen to it, it glides on to your face, is light and reflective without being shiny (actually, it keeps you quite nice and matte), and it smells gorgeous. Kinda like strawberry shortcakes or something. On their site, it's rated 5 stars by reviewers, so I can't be the only one!

Plus, Benefit packaging is always really cute.

Benefit "that gal" Brightening Primer
$28
(Image from www.benefit.com)

Besides, doing a primer post allowed for a very easy pun in the title. Apologies for the laziness.

One last point - primer can also be used as a more subtle highlighter. Everyone knows that using white eyeliner on your bottom lid opens up your eyes & makes them appear bigger, but it's not the most subtle look so dabbing primer along the bottom of your eye achieves a similar effect more appropriate for daytime.

Similarly, after applying the rest of your make-up, dab primer in the arches of your brows & the inner corners of your eyes to open them up and make you look more awake, in your cupids bow to make your lips poutier, and down the centre of your nose to make it appear narrower - all in a nice, subtle way.

Ciao for now,
Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment