Sunday 13 March 2011

Japan


I wasn't going to post about the disasters that have occurred, and are still occurring, in the North-East of Japan at the moment, but I decided that if I could do a small amount of good by doing so, perhaps I should.

Like many people, I wish I could be there to support the country as it puts itself back together - but that is a job best left for professionals and people who can provide more aid than most people could hope to.

For now, it is important to keep up-to-date with information - particularly on how to help. You can do this with the BBC Live Stream, although please be warned that of course, many of the images and informations provided are extremely distressing.

Google has also set up a people-finder in the aftermath of Friday's events, which can be found here. If you are seeking information, or have information to offer on a person's whereabouts, this is one of the places you can go.

Furthermore, there is a dedicated helpline for concerned British Nationals at +44 020 7008 0000.

Of course, it is vitally important to send not only our best wishes, but any monetary assistance we can.

If you're in the UK, please donate at the British Red Cross Japan Tsunami Appeal. You can donate as much as you can afford and if you're a UK tax-payer, you can increase your donation by 28.21% at no extra cost to you by clicking the box to add Gift Aid.

Please bear in mind that there is no such thing as too many donations - providing shelter, food, fuel and healthcare for people in the affected areas is invaluable, and then of course the clean-up and rebuilding processes will continue for a long time and incur huge expenses. Putting lives back together is invaluable. If somehow, fortunately, there should be any surplus from this fund, the Red Cross does good work all around the world in so many places in need of support.

If you are in Japan, you can donate here. (As far as I am aware.)

And in the US, the American Red Cross is receiving donations.

Like many people, I wish there were more I could do to help this wonderful country. At present, I can only send what financial support I have to offer, and my sympathies, admiration and best wishes to the people of Japan and all those affected there, and in other parts of the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment