Sunday 26 December 2010

The Glowdown

Boxing Day. Why do they call it that? Erm , actually there's a pretty good explanation here. But anyway, Boxing Day is now synonymous with eating turkey (or goose, in our house) sandwiches (or pasties or pies) and enjoying all the presents - especially the chocolate and the alcohol - from the previous day's festivities. (Or, if you're me, revising the religious poetry of Donne and Herbert. Joy to the world never felt so ironic.)


Some snapshots of yesterday:


My Apple Mull
Recipe here.


Tree & Fire, Christmas Eve.


Our back garden = white christmas.
(p.s. garage looks like a
gingerbread house!)


Christmas flowers.


The tree on Christmas morning.
I've never seen so many presents.


Christmas tea-tray.
Mandatory if I want presents before noon.


Buck's Fizz.


Prepping the veg.
Parsnips, carrots, pumpkin and onion with thyme.
Brussel sprouts & chestnuts with lemon.
Rosemary & garlic ready for the roast potatoes.

The goose cooking.
I tried to lift it, I failed.

Place setting.

Table setting.

Pigs in blankets! My absolute favourite!


I think Boxing Day is also the perfect day for 'The Glowdown' - the gift lowdown, the assessment of what you got for your loved ones and the enjoyment of what you've received. And figuring out what you still need to get yourself in the January sales, of course!


I went a little crazy buying presents (as usual) so I just don't have the time to tell you everything I got for everyone (and besides, I still have some to give and can't risk their recipients reading this), but I'm extremely thankful that everyone was really happy with the gifts I got them so far.


Equally, I got horrendously spoiled this year so I couldn't possibly tell you all the lovely things I got (besides, I think I'd come across as kinda pretentious if I went ahead and listed all my gifts!) but I got a few from my list and some brilliant surprises thrown in. I feel like the luckiest girl in the world!


On top of that, I found out I get to go and study in Singapore for a year! (Provided I can show evidence of financial support and get a 2:1 this year; hence the sudden love of Renaissance poetry.) Best Christmas ever!

I hope you got some great reactions to your gifts and hope you love your own as much as I do mine!

Happy Boxing Day everyone!

Ciao for now,
Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment